A mattress topper is a piece of material that you put on top of your mattress for extra comfort and softness.
A thinner topper can add some cushioning, while a thicker one would be more like replacing the entire mattress. Some toppers might even have gel-infused memory foam or latex inside them, which should add extra support and firmness.
You might be wondering: when it comes time to replace my old tired mattress with a new one, should I get a comfortable mattress topper instead? Or maybe you’re curious: will it help me with my back pain if I get a soft foam topper and put it over my hard mattress?
No matter what questions you have about these products, we’ll try to answer them here!
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is a piece of material that you put on top of your old, hard mattress for extra comfort and softness. It is usually around 4 inches thick but can be more or less depending on what you want.
They are very popular with people who have back problems, as they are supposed to provide extra cushioning for the spine, keep it in alignment while sleeping, and prevent pressure points from forming where the bones come into contact with the bed.
When to get a mattress topper?
It is widespread for body aches when you sleep to be caused by an old, hard mattress. If you plan on getting a new mattress anytime soon anyway, it might make sense to invest in a lovely soft foam or traditional memory foam mattress topper before spending the money on a brand new bed. This way, you won’t have to wait long at all to enjoy your pillow top!
- Sometimes people will get one of these products even if their current bed isn’t uncomfortable per se, but they want something that’s even more comfortable. If this sounds like what you’re looking for in your next purchase, then definitely pick up a lovely new foam mattress topper – and enjoy some sweet dreams!
- Another thing that has come up lately with the popularity of many mattress toppers is whether they will help with people’s back problems. If you have a bad back or other serious medical condition, definitely talk to your doctor before spending the money on this product! They might be able to recommend something that would be better for your health than just adding softness.
It is also worth mentioning that a waterproof mattress protector is being marketed as a “mattress pad” or “mattress topper,” which can be confusing.
How to Find the Best Soft Mattress Toppers?
I know what you’re thinking: you want to be able to go down to the store and pick up an awesome mattress topper. But if only it were that simple!
You should consider many things before buying this type of product, especially since it is much more expensive than a regular old throw pillow or blanket.
First, you will have to pick out what kind of design you want. You can get anything from a simple cotton pad to something much more complicated than has multiple layers and an innovative design. Your needs are going to play a significant role in what you choose.
Next up is the material that the mattress topper is made out of. Some are just thin pieces of foam or ordinary cotton, but others can be pretty intricate.
Memory foam or latex cores are very common these days; cotton balls stuffed with down feathers used to be popular, but they don’t make them like this anymore (for a good reason).
If you aren’t allergic to any materials, there isn’t much to consider here other than the price point – which brings us to our next issue!
Finally, it would help if you decided what price range you are in. The average mattress topper will run for around £150 in the United Kingdom, but they can cost much more or less depending on the materials and design.
You might also want to research how well each product is made – try googling “mattress topper reviews” along with your preferred brand name.
It would help if you also chose how thick you want your mattress topper to be, as this will affect the price.
A thicker pad will cost slightly more, give more cushioning and better body alignment, and generally provide a much more excellent experience than a thinner model.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for something incredibly cheap, it might be best to stay away from those big memory foam mattresses that are advertised as “7 inches thick!”
You can get by with around 4 or 5 inches without too much trouble.
Last but not least, there is size to consider. This is important because if you buy one of these products and decide that it doesn’t fit right on your bed, you have a real problem with your hands.
You should always measure your bed before going out to buy new bedding, but if for some reason you missed this step, then keep in mind that double mattress toppers are going to be too small for a double bed or queen size bed, and an extra-large pad will not fit into a single bed frame.
There are a few different certifications that soft mattress toppers can have that will affect their quality. The first one you should look for is the “Oeko-Tex” label – this certification means that no harmful chemicals were used in making your bedding product.
You might also want to consider whether or not it has been fireproofed with special chemicals, as this could save your life if there ever is a fire in your house!
Finally, many of the best products have “green guard gold” certificates that indicate high environmentally friendly standards.
Although most warranty policies do not cover normal wear and tear issues, it doesn’t hurt to check up on what exactly they do cover before you buy.
If it turns out that you can get a full refund, replacement, or store credit if your product falls apart, then this is something worth considering.
It can be pretty expensive to buy one of these pads only to have it not live up to its promises – so why take the risk?
- Memory-foam mattress toppers: Foam mattresses are an excellent choice for those who want to add some extra softness and support without spending too much money.
- Down-feather mattress topper: This type of material is a bit more pricey, but it has a lot going for it as well! Some people prefer this to memory foam because they don’t heat up as quickly during the night – which can be a real blessing if your home tends to get very hot in the summer.
- Latex mattress topper: Latex core products are one of the best choices you can make if you’re looking for superior quality and comfort – but expect them to cost quite a bit more than just about anything else on the market today. Cotton-pad mattress topper: Cotton is very affordable, so it’s a great choice if you want to go cheap without sacrificing too much quality.
- Down-alternative mattress topper: This product uses polyester fibers designed to imitate down feathers without any of the problems associated with natural down. If you want high-quality at a reasonable price, then this might be the best option for you!
- Fiber-filled mattress topper: This is another affordable mattress topper that is also quite comfortable and easy to clean.
- Organic cotton-pad mattress topper: This product has all the benefits of a standard cotton pad but with some added benefits because it was made without any harsh chemicals or pesticides. If you’re looking for something exceptionally eco-friendly, then this might be the best choice for you!
- Wool mattress topper: Wool is a perfect choice for looking for the highest quality bedding products possible. It’s incredibly soft, very comfortable, and even has some unique anti-allergy properties that make it great for those with asthma or other respiratory issues.
Best Mattress Toppers for Back Pain
Back pain is a grave matter and can cause a lot of long-term damage if it’s not treated correctly. If you’re having issues with your back, then you should consider getting a mattress topper that will help ease your discomfort – here are some things to keep in mind when doing this:
Memory foam is the best option for those who have chronic back problems – this type of pad is beneficial because it conforms to the shape of your body, so you don’t have to worry about extra pressure being put on any one area.
Down-feather pads are also great options because they help air circulate your body, which means that overheating won’t be an issue!
Latex pads are a good choice because they are firm enough to offer you extra support and give your pressure points a nice layer of cushioning.
What is the difference between a mattress topper and a mattress pad?
A mattress topper is designed to lie on top of your existing mattress, giving you an extra layer of cushioning.
A mattress pad slips underneath your fitted sheet, adding extra softness and padding.
Does a mattress topper help?
If you’re having trouble sleeping due to discomfort, the right mattress topper can help.
The added cushioning can improve your comfort and the overall quality of your good night’s sleep – this helps reduce stress on your hips, shoulders, head, and neck while you rest.
Will I be able to use my sheets with a mattress pad or topper?
You should make sure that you check the measurements before purchasing any new type of bedding product because some are significantly smaller than others.
However, almost all sheet sets can fit over most pads and toppers unless they are incredibly thick (which some people like).
What is an egg crate mattress pad?
An egg crate mattress pad is more commonly known as a contour pad, and it fits over your regular sheets and adds softness via individual foam cells shaped like egg cartons.
This type of topper provides extra comfort by cradling the body in all the right places.
How long will my egg crate mattress pad last?
There is no set lifespan for an egg crate mattress pad, but most products last from six months to one year, depending on how well they are cared for.
If you treat yours with care, it should provide you with enough support to last at least six months before needing replacement.
Don’t wash it too often, don’t puncture it, and try not to drag it around – this will decrease its overall lifespan dramatically!
Caring for a Memory Foam Mattress Pad
A memory foam mattress pad is a great way to add extra support and comfort to an existing bed. Since these pads can conform easily to your body’s shape, they can mean the difference between waking up tired and refreshed in the morning.
Although most of these pads will stay in good condition for years, proper care and maintenance will ensure that you get the most extended lifespan possible out of yours. To clean a memory foam mattress pad.
Please remove it from your bed and place it on top of a flat surface. Vacuum the top of the pad using a soft brush attachment – this will remove dust and other debris while keeping your vacuum free of clogs caused by loose fibers or foam pieces that might get caught mattress topper can be used in so many different rooms of your home.
Use it on top of a sofa or armchair to add extra comfort and support. You can even place it on hardwood floors and other slippery areas that you want to ensure aren’t going to cause anyone an issue.
Is a thicker mattress topper better?
Thicker is not always better, but in the case of a perfect mattress topper, it can be. Usually, thinner pads will have a lower overall weight capacity while thicker ones are able to support more body weight over their lifetime.
This means that you won’t have to buy a new mattress pad as often, which saves you money in the long run!
Using a quality mattress topper or pad can add extra comfort and support to your bed so that you wake up feeling refreshed and energized.
With the added cushioning, you also won’t be as sore after getting out of bed in the morning which can make it much easier for you to start your day off on the right foot.