Comparing the new Otty mattress with Simba, a highly reputable manufacturer of similar mattresses, we can see that there are stark differences between the two brands.
While Simba has a high rating of 4.8/5 on Amazon with over 1,000 reviews, the Otty only has 3.1 stars with less than 30 reviews to its name.
While it is not fair to compare the two brands without looking at more data points, it does seem like there would be an advantage to buying from Simba as opposed to Otty.
Otty vs Simba Mattress Review
First of all, Otty is a relatively new mattress manufacturer. It was founded by Jeffrey Martin in 2015 after studying the market for several years.
Mr. Martin spent eight years working as an engineer at NASA before he started researching mattresses and designing his own.
This time spent observing how astronauts sleep helped him analyze the sleeping problems that many people experience on Earth, particularly back pain caused by sub-standard mattresses.
The company’s first mattress debuted in January 2016.
- The Otty mattress is 100% organic and has no harmful chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
- The company offers a ten-year warranty on their products, which is twice as long as many competitors’ warranties.
- Unlike many other memory foam mattresses, the Otty responsive mattress does not emit an off-putting odor when it is new and unwrapped. On top of that, its memory foam material helps to regulate humidity and body temperature during sleep, minimizing the chance of experiencing hot flashes or night sweats
- The Otty mattress is a great investment in your health and has been shown to relieve back pain caused by improper sleeping posture. This is especially true for side sleepers, who were found to be the most satisfied with their purchase
- The Otty memory foam mattress can retain heat during sleep, which could cause some people to have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep when it’s warm outside. On top of that, the material may not provide enough support for those suffering from chronic hip or back pain.
- The company does not offer a trial period for its products. You must keep them for at least sixty days before you can return them if you are dissatisfied with your purchase.
Simba was founded in 2013 by Rick Anderson and Greg Stumpff, two tech entrepreneurs with deep roots in tech manufacturing and sales across North America who pursued their dream to design and sell premium eco-friendly products through direct sales channels targeting consumers who want high-quality goods and support for them.
By 2015, they had expanded to selling directly through Amazon and their website as well as through retailers across Canada.
They have also been recognized with various awards over the years, including the 2014 Best Mattresses Award by Good Housekeeping and the Pure Green Award from Bloomberg Businessweek as one of America’s Most Promising Social Entrepreneurs.
- Simba is a family-owned company offering high-quality mattresses for low prices.
- The company has an excellent return policy, allowing customers to obtain a full refund within 120 days if they are not satisfied with their purchase
- Simba offers free shipping on all purchases over $1500
- Their products have been shown to be beneficial for those suffering back pain
- The Simba mattress does emit an unpleasant odor upon unpacking that may take several weeks or months to dissipate completely. On top of this, there is no option for free samples of the product before you buy it.
Otty Hybrid Mattress vs. Simba Hybrid: Which should you buy?
Both the Otty and Simba hybrid mattresses use high-density foam for support and encapsulated pocket springs, which can provide optimal comfort.
However, we believe that the Otty mattress is the better choice because it offers more benefits than Simba does: 100% organic materials and a ten-year warranty.
The longer warranty makes it stand out as well, considering that most products only come with a five or seven-year warranty.
The main complaint about both of these mattresses is their odor; however, this typically goes away after several weeks or months.
The main materials found in both mattresses are memory foam and high-density polyfoam.
It offers comfort by molding around the body while also relieving pressure points, making it especially beneficial for those who sleep on their side.
The Otty has an organic latex memory foam topper for enhanced support, while Simba does not have any natural materials in its construction.
Otty Hybrid Mattress vs Simba: Price in the UK
The Simba mattress is available at Amazon UK for £879.99, while the other major retailer offering it is Wayfair.co.uk, where it retails for £699. They are also available at https://simbasleep.com/ for £549.
The Otty mattress is more budget-friendly than the Simba because you can buy them directly through Amazon, Wayfair, or Otty’s website if you have Prime membership for just £499.
Otty Hybrid vs Simba: Comfort and firmness
Both of these mattresses offer a medium firmness rating, and one of the biggest complaints about the Simba mattress is that it emits an unpleasant odor when you unbox it.
However, we believe that this odor does eventually go away after several weeks or months.
I. Mattress weights:
- Simba Hybrid: 104 to 132 pounds
- Otty Hybrid: 80 to 120 pounds
II. Mattress thicknesses:
- Simba Hybrid is 12 inches thick.
- Otty Hybrid is 10 inches thick.
III. Edge support:
- Simba Hybrid has an excellent edge support layer.
- Otty Hybrid is an excellent mattress for sleeping on the edge
IV. Mattress warranties:
- The Otty comes with a 10-year warranty protecting against material defects and workmanship issues.
- The Simba mattress has a five to ten-year warranty, depending on the model you choose
- The Simba hybrid features a layer of memory foam and high-density polyfoam to regulate temperature.
- The Otty includes gel memory foam, which helps keep it cool by wicking away heat
VI. Spot Relief (point elasticity):
- The Otty has a bamboo charcoal memory foam topper that is designed to provide support while also relieving pressure points.
- There is no gel memory foam on the Simba mattress, which means it may not offer as much support or relieve pressure
- You can put together your Simba mattress by yourself, but some users have reported problems with the instructions.
- It takes less than half an hour for you to set up your new Otty mattress, and after putting it together once there are no problems assembling it again in the future
VIII. Sizes of both mattresses:
- Otty Mattress Sizes: Single x 38 x 75 inches Twin XL x 39 x 80 inches Twin x 37 x 75inches Full x 54 x 75 inches Queen 58 x 78 inches King x 74 x 78 inches California King 72 x 84 inches
- Simba Hybrid Mattress Sizes: Single X 38.5 “x75” Twin XL 39.5 “x80” Twin 37.5 “x75” Full 54.5 “x75” Queen 60.0 “X79.0 King 76.0X79 Queen 77.8X53.1 California King 72.0X84
IX. Motion Transfer:
The motion transfer of a mattress is the amount of disturbance you feel when your partner moves around in bed. The lower the number, the less noticeable movement you’ll feel from your partner and vice versa
With zero motion transfer, the Simba has excellent motion isolation, so if you or your partner are light sleepers or wake up easily to noise, this might be a good option for you.
However, some users have found that it can take up to three months for their Simba mattress to stop emitting an unpleasant odor upon opening it.
One of our main complaints about the Otty is that it does not come with handles, which makes transporting it more difficult than other mattresses on the market today. A lot of users have complained that it is difficult to rotate and flip.
X. Type of Sleepers this mattress suits:
1) Back sleepers: Both the Simba and Otty mattresses have a medium firmness rating, so both are suitable for back sleepers.
If you’re a heavier sleeper, you may find the extra support of the Simba mattress better than the Otty because it has been made from six layers to ensure there is adequate support throughout your body when lying on your back
2) Side sleepers: Both have a medium firmness but depending on your weight, either one may be better suited to you. The thicker Otty will offer more support which makes it a great choice if you’re a side sleeper
3) Stomach sleepers: The thinner Otty will give you excellent comfort and support levels while sleeping on your stomach, and the lack of handles also provides a minimalist design that is easy to move around.
- While the Simba mattress is wrapped in plastic and vacuum sealed, the Otty may emit a slight odor for up to 24 hours after being opened.
- Both have a memory foam layer that will be slightly off-putting for those with a sensitivity to chemicals. Both mattresses also emit a strong chemical smell, which dissipates over time
Should I Buy Simba or OTTY?
The Simba mattress may be a better choice if you’re a heavier sleeper, as it has been made from six layers for extra support. If you have a smaller bedroom and need to transport your mattress regularly, the Otty is much easier to move around in comparison to the Simba.
Neither comes with handles which can make transporting them more difficult than other mattresses on the market. However, both are durable and will last a long time.
Both OTTY and SIMBA Mattress come in Medium Firmness that’s perfect for night sleepers who like their mattress feeling plush without being too squishy.
They both have a good latex feel but OTTY has more bounce compared to SIMBA. Both of them are great choices for sleepers who like feeling like they are floating on the bed.
The Otty Mattress may be a better choice if you’re a side sleeper or if you want to buy a mattress that is slightly more affordable.
The Simba mattress has been made from six layers, whereas the Otty can only support up to four. If you have back problems, the thicker Otty may not provide enough support for your body because of its thinner design